Immigration law - USA

Immigration Eligibility Self-Quiz

Since we don’t know who you are, we’re going to make a very broad assumption: you’re looking for any possible way to spend time in the United States, preferably permanently. The following text will help you find out what type of visa or green card you might be eligible for. Please take a moment to review the information below and see which category applies to you.


Most Canadian citizens do not need visas to enter the U.S for a temporary stay, for the casual tourist or business visitor, this is a big benefit. With the exception of E-1 and E-2 treaty traders and investors as well as fiancés and their children (K-1 and K-2), Canadians have no need to go to a U.S. consulate and get a nonimmigrant visa.

Fiance K.1 Visa

If you are engaged to marry a U.S citizen, you may be eligible for Fiance Visa.

Treaty Trader (E-1) Visa

You can work legally in the U.S. for a U.S. company if more than 50% of its business is with your home country, and your country has entered a trade treaty with the United States. Your initial visa may extend up to two years, with unlimited possible two-year extensions.  You may travel in and out of the U.S.

Treaty Investor (E-2) Visa

You can work legally in the U.S. for a U.S. business in which a substantial cash investment has been made by you or other citizens of your home country, so long as your country has a trade treaty with the U.S. You may travel in and out of the U.S.

Intracompany Transferee (L-1) Visa

You can work legally in the U.S. for your L-1 sponsor this visa is intended for intra-company transferees in executive or senior management positions. The L-1 visa is “dual intent,” which means that you can get the visa even if you are also seeking a green card.

Green Card Through a Relative

You may qualify for a green card through relatives if you are immediate relative or a preference relative of a U.S. citizen or green card holder

Green cards through employment

You will need a job offer of employment from a U.S employer for (EB-1). Priority workers. Employment, (EB-2). Workers with advanced degrees or exceptional ability. (EB-3). Professionals, skilled workers, (EB-4). Religious workers and various miscellaneous categories of workers and other individuals; also called special immigrants.

B-1. Business visitors.

Allows you to engage in certain business activities and tourist activities. B-1/ B-2 visitor visas are often multiple entries. Although you may make many trips to the U.S. on your visitor visa, the length of each visit is normally limited to between 30 days and six months. After that, you must leave the U.S. or apply for an extension.

B-2. Visitors visa

Allows you to come to U.S as a temporary visitor, either as a tourist or for medical treatment. Often, these two visas are issued together in combination so you have all the options under both.

Student (F-1 or M-1) Visa

Once you’ve been accepted by a U.S. school, the application process is reasonably quick and straightforward. You may come to the U.S. as a full-time academic or language student enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certificate. You may work legally in a part-time job on campus. Also, you may get special permission to work off campus if it is economically urgent or if the job provides practical training for your field of study. You may travel in and out of the U.S. or remain there until the completion of your studies.